VPN For Telecommuting, Success Or Failure? – It is mutual for companies to feel the need for their employees to remotely access resources stored on their corporate networks at any time. Either because they are teleworking, because they are traveling, or because they have attended a meeting outside the office. Sometimes we connect to the home or public networks that may not be secure.
However, many companies are unaware of the risks that endanger the security of their assets when remote access is not carried out correctly. And that is why in this post, we want to tell you about the role of VPNs in teleworking.
Table of Contents
What is a VPN?
A VPN is a private cybernetic network that allows users to send and receive data over an encrypted connection. This means that data is protected from being intercepted by third parties, which makes VPNs especially useful for protecting the privacy and security of companies.
They allow secure communication between the client and the server, guarantee the confidentiality of information, promote data integrity, and verify the client’s authenticity. However, not all VPNs are the same, nor do they all offer the same possibilities. Fortunately, in the next section, you will discover why.
Types of VPN Implementation
The possibilities of virtual private networks are endless, but in this section, we have compiled some of the possible implementations that can be carried out according to INCIBE :
“Remote access VPN connections that use SSL and carry all network protocols.”
“Client/server applications designed to access data stored on the server via HTTP.”
“VPN gateways allow HTTP access to server applications that do not have a native web-based interface.”
“VPN gateways act as a tunneling web proxy, accepting HTTP connections from the client application, stripping the native client/server protocol HTTP header and forwarding it to the server.”
Using VPN networks to access corporate information when the external network you are trying to access is not entirely secure ensures that the information exchanged is protected. In addition, it establishes an encrypted communication channel.
Other VPN Security Measures
Did you know there are additional methods to ensure that VPN connections are successful? Next, we will explain some of the most common:
- Application layer inspection. It is an information security process that focuses on evaluating the security of web applications and services. It checks if the applications are protected against attacks and configured correctly to work safely.
- Protection of the customer’s environment. It is a security feature that allows system administrators to control which programs can run on a computer and what access those programs have to system resources. This helps prevent malicious programs from damaging the system or stealing user information. To prevent the spread of malware, you can use network management tools, VPNs with client checking mechanisms, etc.
- Strong authentication of devices and users. It is a process to ensure that only authorized users can access devices. It requires verification of several factors, such as the user’s identity, the device being used, and the context in which the access takes place. It is recommended to use a double authentication factor.
Here are some additional VPN security measures for remote work. When we have control of devices, access, network activity monitoring, and maintenance, we improve the security of our information and our company.
When To Use Virtual Private Networks
VPN networks are one of the vital security tools for remote corporate access from anywhere. Your employees must use them in the following cases and clear them from the beginning. Pay attention:
- When using unreliable public networks.
- When they need to access corporate resources, such as servers, specific applications, or documents.
- When they need to do some confidential action, such as accessing online banking or company billing.
- When they are telecommuting.
- When they want to interconnect separate networks securely (computers used remotely with the office, for example).
Remember that virtual private networks are a way to connect devices and servers through a secure connection. VPNs can connect devices and servers within an organization or between organizations and enable secure access to cloud services such as storage or applications.
Advantages of Using VPN in Telecommuting
VPNs offer many advantages to employees who work from home. Some of them are:
The information exchanged between our device and workplace will be 100% protected through a VPN network. This will be possible thanks to data encryption.
It guarantees the confidentiality and integrity of the information since it cannot be read, modified, or altered during the exchange through the VPN.
Restricts access through a username and password that requires prior authorization from the company.
[They]protect the company from cyber-attacks since the data is completely cover while the employees are connect to the VPN in telecommuting.
[They ]offer greater privacy to employees since they prevent third parties from spying on or tracking online activity.
They provide mutual authentication since the two parties can be identifie and authenticated simultaneously (the one calling and receiving the access request).
Do your employees still not have VPN connections for telecommuting? Do you have questions about the implementation process? How to provide a secure extension of the company network?
Mobile users, remote offices, teleworkers. No matter where your employees are, they can all connect via the company’s private VPN network. And that will ensure that confidentiality is guarantee thanks to the authenticity of the user. So, we can say that VPNs for telecommuting guarantee success.
Fast Pair makes it Easy to Connect your Bluetooth Headphones
Bluetooth Headphones: Wireless headphones are becoming more and more visible in public spaces. You can come across them in all…
What is Instagram: Everything You Should Know
Want to understand better what Instagram is? Indeed, it is worth understanding this social network’s functioning, characteristics, and trends. Afina,…